November 1 – Today’s Food History
Posted on November 1, 2011
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
- 1798 Sir Benjamin Lee Guinness was born. He was the son of Arthur Guinness, and joined the family brewing business. When his father died, he became sole owner and built up the business. He was also elected Lord Mayor of Dublin in 1851.
- 1841 The first wagon of settlers left Independence, Missouri for the trip to California.
- 1962 Antony Kiedis of the music group ‘Red Hot Chili Peppers’ was born.
- 1997 Victor Mills died. He was a chemical engineer who worked for Proctor & Gamble. Among his many accomplishments, he improved Duncan Hines cake mix, and Jif peanut butter, and invented Pampers disposable diapers.
- 2009 The last issue of Gourmet magazine was published this month.