February 4 is National Homemade Soup Day
Posted on February 4, 2012
Also: African Heritage & Health Week
1. Women are more than twice as likely to eat soup as men, 9.67% vs. 4.0%.
2. The Middle English word soupen meant “to drink in sips”, which is how most soups were consumed. The words “soup,” “supper,” “sip,” and “sop” are derived from this term.
3. Andy Warhol(who’s real name was Andrew Warhola) is famous for his Campbell ‘s soup can art of the 1960′s. Did you know his first works sold for around 100 dollars? Today they sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Daily Quote: “Of soup and love, the first is the best.” ~ Spanish proverb
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
- 1906 Clyde W. Tombaugh was born. An American astronomer who discovered the planet Pluto in 1930. His first telescopes were made from old farm equipment parts
- 1930 Candy maker Frank C. Mars of Minnesota introduced the Snickers bar in 1930. Did you know? Snickers was the name of his prized race horse.
- 1941 Roy J. Plunkett received a U.S. patent for Teflon. He accidentally discovered it in 1938.
- 1983 RIP Karen Carpenter from complications associated with anorexia nervosa.