April 12 – National Grilled Cheese Day
Posted on April 12, 2012
National Grilled Cheese Day
Five Food Finds about Grilled Cheese
- Grilled cheese sandwiches originally showed up in America during the roaring 20’s.
- It is said that grilled cheese was first served as an open-face sandwich.
- A grilled cheese sandwich is often accompanied by tomato soup, a southern delicacy!
- Grilled cheese sandwiches can be served with bacon , tomato, and various other additions. It makes the meal much more filling.
- April is national grilled cheese sandwich month. Be sure to celebrate heartily!
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1748 Antoine-Laurent de Jussieu was born. A French botanist whose ideas formed the foundation of a natural plant classification system.
1985 The four ‘unicorns’ of Ringling Brothers Barnum & Bailey Circus were declared to be only goats with surgically implanted horns by federal inspectors. The circus was ordered to stop advertising them as unicorns
1988 The first U.S. patent on an animal life form was issued to Harvard scientists for a genetically engineered mouse.
1989 The USSR issued ration cards for sugar due to a shortage
2001 Maryland banned the farming of genetically modified fish in any waters linked to other bodies of water.