May 9 – National Shrimp Day
Posted on May 9, 2012
National Shrimp Day
Five Food Finds about Shrimp
- The pistol shrimp can deliver an explosive attack hotter than the surface of the sun and loud enough to rupture a human ear drum.
- Every shrimp is actually born male, and some develop into females.
- Some shrimp are actually capable of glowing in the dark.
- Shrimp can vary in size from 1/2 inch to 12 inches.
- In some areas, shrimp served with the head still attached is considered a delicacy.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1785 The beer-pump handle was patented by Joseph Bramah.
1845 Carl Gustaf Patrik de Laval was born. A Swedish scientist and inventor. Among his inventions was the centrifugal cream separator and a vacuum milking machine.
1914 R.I.P. C. W. Post (Charles William. He founded the Postum Cereal Co. in 1895 (renamed General Foods Corp. in 1922) to manufacture Postum cereal beverage; 1897 Grape Nuts, 1904 Post Toasties (originally called Elijah’s Mana).
1992 The record brown trout weighed over 40 pounds and was caught in Arkansas.
Some Material Used from Foodreference.com with Permission.