June 2 – National Rocky Road Day
Posted on June 2, 2012
National Rocky Road Day
Five Food Finds about Ice Cream
- It takes 12 lbs. of milk to make just one gallon of ice cream.
- The U.S. enjoys an average of 48 pints of ice cream per person, per year, more than any other country.
- It takes an average of 50 licks to polish off a single-scoop ice cream cone.
- The biggest ice cream sundae in history was made in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, in 1988, and weighed in at over 24 tons.
- In 2003, Portland, Oregon bought more ice cream per person than any other U.S. city.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1851 Maine was the first state to ban alcohol.
1886 U.S. President Grover Cleveland married Frances Folsom, with the ceremony taking place in the White House. Cleveland is the only President to be married in the White House.
1920 ‘Chili Bean’ was recorded by Frank Crumit and the Pauld Biese Trio.
1928 Velveeta Cheese was created by Kraft. It was packaged in a tin-foil lined wooden box. When melted, it was as smooth as velvet, hence its name.
1970 Eight species of whale were placed on the Endangered Species List.
1972 ‘The Candy Man’ by Sammy Davis Jr. is #1 on the charts.
2003 The USDA declared that frozen, batter coated french fries are fresh vegetables. A federal judge upheld the rule in June, 2004, declaring that the term “fresh vegetables” was ambiguous.
In 1981 the USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) had unsuccessfully tried to classify ketchup and pickle relish as vegetables. Public protest caused them to drop the idea.
2009 Food Fight News: Five students were arrested and taken away in handcuffs after a yogurt and taco salad food fight at a Portage, Wisconsin high school.