August 10 – National S’Mores Day
Posted on August 10, 2012
National S’Mores Day
Five Food Finds about S’Mores
- Every HONEY MAID Graham Cracker is made with the goodness of 5 grams of whole grain per serving and real honey.
- HONEY MAID Graham Crackers were introduced in 1925 and are the leading brand of Graham Crackers in the U.S.
- Americans buy around 90 million pounds of marshmallows every year.
- The Hershey Company makes more than 373 million HERSHEY’S Milk Chocolate bars a year. That’s enough to make 746 million S’mores!
- “National S’mores Day” is on August 10th each year.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1833 Chicago, Illinois, was incorporated as a village, its population was about 200.
1889 Dan Rylands patented a screw cap for bottles. He was employed at the Hope Glass Works, Barnsley, Yorkshire, England.
1917 Clara Peller was born. She is the actress who is famous for her Wendy’s TV commercial, “Where’s the beef?”
1947 Ian Anderson of the music group ‘Jethro Tull’ was born.
1998 Massena ‘Andy’ Gump died. Inventor and portable toilet king of Southern California