September 5 – National Cheese Pizza Day
Posted on September 5, 2012
National Cheese Pizza Day
Five Food Finds about Pizza
- About 93% of Americans eat at least one pizza every month.
- About 350 slices of pizza are consumed every second in the United States.
- The most pizzas are delivered (and eaten) on New Year’s Day, New Year’s Eve, Halloween, Thanksgiving Eve, and Super Bowl Sunday.
- The three dots in the Domino’s Pizza logo represent the first three Domino’s Pizza stores.
- Pepperoni is the most popular pizza topping in the United States.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1643 Louis XIV, King of France (the ‘Sun King’) was born. A gourmet, gourmand and many say a glutton. During his reign food began to be served in courses, rather than placed on the table all at once, and forks came into widespread use.
1698 Tsar Peter I of Russia imposes a tax on beards.
1946 Dean Ford of the music group ‘Marmalade’ was born.
1949 Clem Clempson of the music group ‘Humble Pie’ was born.
2001 Justin Wilson, Cajun chef and humorist died. He wrote five cookbooks, hosted several cooking shows on TV, including ‘Louisiana Cookin’ and ‘Cookin’ Cajun.’