September 8 – National Date-Nut Bread Day
Posted on September 8, 2012
National Date-Nut Bread Day
Five Food Finds about Bread
- It takes 9 seconds for a combine to harvest enough wheat to make about 70 loaves of bread.
- Each American consumes, on average, 53 pounds of bread per year.
- An average slice of packaged bread contains only 1 gram of fat and 75 to 80 calories.
- One bushel of wheat will produce 73 one-pound loaves of bread.
- Breaking bread is a universal sign of peace.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1621 Prince Louis II de Condé, known as the Great Condé, was born. He was a French general who loved to hunt and had a passion for rice. Several dishes have been named for him, including Consommé Condé and Creme Condé.
1636 The Great and General Court of the Massachusetts Bay Colony established Harvard College (New College), the first college in the Americas.
1930 Richard Drew invented Scotch tape.
1966 The first episode of the TV show ‘Star Trek’ airs. Chemically synthesized food on the Enterprise – we seem to be getting close to that now.
1978 ‘Grease’ by Frankie Valli is #1 on the charts