September 16 – National Cinnamon-Raisin Bread Day
Posted on September 16, 2012
National Cinnamon-Raisin Bread Day
Five Food Finds about Bread
- It takes 9 seconds for a combine to harvest enough wheat to make about 70 loaves of bread.
- Each American consumes, on average, 53 pounds of bread per year.
- An average slice of packaged bread contains only 1 gram of fat and 75 to 80 calories.
- One bushel of wheat will produce 73 one-pound loaves of bread.
- Breaking bread is a universal sign of peace.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1380 Charles V of France Died.
* It was Charles V who commissioned Taillevent to write what would become the first professional cookery book written in France, ‘Le Viandier’.
* Forks were mentioned in an inventory during his reign
* Some believe that he died as a result of eating amanita mushrooms.
1630 Shawmut changed its name to Boston. If not for this, we might be eating Shawmut Baked Beans and Shawmut Cream Pie today!
1736 Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit died. Fahrenheit was a German physicist who invented the Fahrenheit temperature scale thermometer. It was the first thermometer to use mercury instead of alcohol, which also extended the temperature range of thermometers.
1835 Charles Darwin arrived at the Galapagos islands aboard the HMS Beagle. The unique fauna he observed on the various islands there helped in forming his theory of natural selection.
1919 Marvin P. Middlemark was born. He invented the TV ‘rabbit ear’ antenna, and among other minor inventions, a water powered potato peeler.
1947 The first aluminum foil, Reynolds Metals ‘Reynolds Wrap’ goes on sale.