National Cheez Doodle Day
Posted on March 5, 2013
National Cheese Doodle Day
Five things you should know about
- Cheetos cheese-flavored puffs became a hit in the 1950’s soon, Cheez Doodles appeared.
- Many say Cheez Doodles are not a copy but the better cheesy snack.
- Cheez Doodles were featured in two episodes of the HBO series How to Make It in America’s first season.
- They have recently entered pop culture as the preferred snack of ESPN NBA analyst Stephen A. Smith, and are the favourite snack of Lincoln Peirce’s comic character Big Nate.
- Wise (the company that produces Cheez Doodles) recently made their Crunchy Cheez Doodles “cheezier,” more akin to Cheetos’ flavor.
On This Day in Food History…
1836 Charles Goodnight was born. He is said to have devised the first ‘chuck wagon’ from an Army wagon in the 1850s with various shelves and compartments for food, equipment, utensils, medical supplies, etc.
1893 Emmett J. Culligan was born. He was the founder of the water treatment company that carries his name.
1910 Momofuku Ando was born in Taiwan. Mr. Ando was the founder of Nissin Food Products, and invented ‘Instant Ramen’ noodles.
1991 Patent # 5,000,000 was issued to Lonnie O. Ingram of the University of Florida. The patent was for a genetically engineered form of the E. coli bacterium that converts plant material into ethanol.