MIGAS ………Texan for YUMMY!!
Never heard of such a thing but, on a recent visit to Houston, T and I discovered Migas on the menu at Monarch, a hip restaurant in the museum district.
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon salsa (your favorite, but it should be chunky)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 6-inch corn tortillas, torn into small pieces
- 1/4 cup finely chopped white onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped green chiles
- 1 medium tomato, seeds and pulp removed, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped avocado, sprinkled with a little lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2/3 cup grated mild cheddar or Monterrey jack cheese, or combination of both
- crema or sour cream
In a small bowl, lightly beat together the eggs, water and salsa, and set aside.
Warm the butter and olive oil in a heavy skillet. Add the tortilla pieces and sauté until softened. Add the chopped onion and sauté until it is transparent. Stir in the chopped green chiles.
Pour the egg mixture into the skillet, and “scramble” until eggs are done. Remove the skillet from heat, and sprinkle the chopped tomato, avocado, cilantro and cheese into the eggs, again stirring well.
Serve at once with warm flour tortillas. Garnish with additional salsa and crema or sour cream.