Kentucky Gourd Art Show
Spencer County Elementary School,Ky. Hwy. 44,
west of Downtown Taylorsville KY
Saturday, May 15, 2010 from10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Sunday May 16, 2010 from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
with crafting classes Fri, Sat, & Sun
Admission $4 for adults; age 12 and under free
A Letter from the President:
We hope that you will join us for the Kentucky Gourd Society’s “sixteenth” show. Wow!! Though we’ve grown and developed, we are still devoted to spreading the gourd word!
1) Our theme this year is “Horsing Around With Gourds” in honor of the great “Equestrian Games” competition being held in the United States and in Lexington KY. This is such a grand thing to happen to KY that we are devoting our show to that theme. Think of ways that you can sculpt, paint, or otherwise create a horse theme with a gourd. There is also a special category on page 24, so check it out!
2) We are also introducing a very special area this year. Its title is “Touchable Gourds”. This area has been designed by Patrice Will of Louisville, who is working with the Kentucky School for the Blind. The students will have work to display and to be judged by “special” judges. There is also a category for you crafters to enter a “Tactile” piece. This section of the display area will be open to the students and the public to touch, feel or hold entries in these classes. There are guidelines for you to go by on pages 11 (youth) and 25 (adult).
3) This year we will be using the guidelines set by the American Gourd Society for judging. For more information you may go to the AGS web site at http://www.americangourdsociety.org. We have added a lot of information to help you with your entries; see the DEFINITIONS AND EXAMPLES at the beginning of the crafted gourds section. There are additional notes above many of the entry classes. Much of the information comes from the new Judging Handbook developed by the American Gourd Society. We hope that this information helps both you (in creating your entries) and the judges (in awarding you ribbons).
4) We’ve added lots of new entry classes for young artists (and some for adults, too) this year!! There are so many that they are too numerous to mention here. They are all marked “new” above the entry class in the booklet so you can easily find them.
5) Entry classes with cash awards are marked with “$$$” above the entry class in the booklet, so check them out.
For more information, go here.
Tagged: food festival, foodimentary, gourders, kentucky, spencery county
You must be logged in to post a comment.