National “Cheese Lover’s” Day
National Buttercrunch Day
National Pot Luck Day
on this day in…
- 1785 Samuel Ellis advertised to sell his Oyster Island with no takers. Later renamed Ellis Island
- 1920 The 50-50 Club opened, considered the 1st ‘speakeasy.’
- 1964 The world’s largest cheese was presented at the 1964 New York World’s Fair, weighing in at over 34,000 pounds. It was presented by the Wisconsin Cheese Foundation, using over 170,000 qts of milk from over 16,000 cows.
- 1988 Famed vineyard manager Philippe de Rothschild dies.
- 1998 Researchers in America announced they had cloned calves for use in producing medicinal milk.