January 31 – Today’s Food History
National Hot Chocolate Day
also:National Popcorn Day
What’s the difference between Hot Chocolate and Hot Cocoa?
Hot Chcolate uses milk or milk chocolate while Hot Cocoa uses only powdered cocoa
Daily Fact: Chocolate is the 3rd most traded commodity in the world. 1st is oils, 2nd is coffee.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
- 1893 The Coca-Cola trademark was recorded.
- 1930 Scotch tape was developed by Richard Drew of the 3M Company.
- 1980 Due to record high sugar prices, Coca Cola begins substituting high fructose corn syrup for half of the sucrose (sugar) used in Coca Cola.
- 1990 The first McDonald’s restaurant in Moscow, Russia opens.
- 2001 Germany announced plans to destroy 400k cattle due to the mad cow crises. We know it now as Mad Cow Disease
Categories: 101 - lessons in food, Daily Food History, Encyclopedia, Food Facts
Tagged: facts, food, foodimentary, fun, life, todays food history
You must be logged in to post a comment.