National Carrot Cake Day
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
- 1468 Johannes Gutenberg died. He invented the method of printing from moveable type. One of the important innovations in his method was a new press, similar to the screw presses used in winemaking.
- 1815 The world’s first commercial cheese factory was established in Switzerland.
- 1823 Spencer Fullerton Baird was born. An American naturalist and zoologist, he was the second Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution.
- 1913 The 16th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution was ratified. It gave Congress the power to levy taxes on income. In 1913 less than 1% of the population paid income tax at the rate of 1%.
- 1916 The Cafe Voltaire opened in Zurich, Switzerland. It became a meeting place for members of the Dada movement in art and literature.
- 1959 The day the music died. Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and J.P. Richardson (The Big Bopper) are killed in a plane crash near Mason City, Iowa.