- 1779 Captain James Cook died. British explorer who charted and named many Pacific Islands, including the Sandwich Islands (Hawaii).
- 1803 Moses Coats patented an apple parer.
- 1833 Gottlieb Sigismund Kirchhof died. He discovered glucose, developed a method for refining vegetable oil, and experimented with brewing and fermentation.
- 1838 Margaret E. Knight was born. An American inventor, she invented an improved paper bag machine to make bags with flat bottoms.
- 1886 California oranges were first shipped East by rail.
- 1903 The U.S. Department of Commerce and Labor was established.
- 2003 Dolly the sheep died. Dolly was the first animal cloned from an adult animal. (Born July 5, 1996)