February 15 – Today’s Food History
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
- 1758 Benjamin Jackson advertised mustard for sale for the first time in America. The advertisement was in the Philadelphia Chronicle, and claimed Jackson was the first and only manufacturer of mustard in America
- 1809 Cyrus Hall McCormick was born. McCormick is credited with the development of the first mechanical reaper.
- 1882 The first shipment of frozen meat left Port Chalmers, New Zealand for Britain, aboard the SS Dunedin of the Albion Line.
- 1957 ‘The Banana Boat Song’ (Day-O) by Harry Belafonte is number one on the charts.
- 1965 Canada adopted its new red & white flag with a red maple leaf in the center.