February 16 – Today’s Food History
National Almond Day
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
- 1883 The ‘Ladies Home Journal’ began publication.
- 1909 Richard McDonald was born. He was one of the brothers who founded McDonald’s fast food restaurants. Richard also designed the golden arches logo. He died in 1998.
- 1932 James E. Markham of Stark Brothers Nurseries and Orchards in Mississippi, received the first patent for a fruit tree. It was for a peach tree whose fruit ripened later than other varieties.
- 1933 Prohibition (the 18th amendment) is repealed. Cheers!
- 1937 Dr. Wallace Hume Carothers received a patent for Nylon. (Which he discovered in 1935). One of its first uses was to replace the hog bristles that had been used in toothbrushes. Think about it: people used to brush their teeth with pigs hair.
- 1959 Rap singer ‘Ice T’ was born (Tracy Morrow).
- 2009 Burgers & Beer on the Road: A truck carrying 40,000 pounds of frozen hamburger patties hit the center median, and dumped thousands of pounds of burgers onto Interstate 15 near Salt Lake City. A few hours later on Interstate 84, also in Utah, a truck carrying 40,000 pounds of Fat Tire Beer hit the center median and spilled its load on the highway. Neither driver was injured.
some content is courtesy of www.FoodReference.com, used with permission
Categories: 101 - lessons in food, Daily Food History, Encyclopedia, Food Facts
Tagged: facts, food, foodimentary, fun, life, todays food history
You must be logged in to post a comment.