National Tortilla Chip Day
Five Facts about Tortilla Chips
1. Most tortilla chips are triangular shaped because they cut formed from round tortilla.
2. In Mexico, Tortilla Chips are called tostados, toasted chips. Outside of North America they are called “corn chips”
3. Doritos brand is the first toasted tortilla chip launched nationally in the U.S.(1966)
4. Tortilla chips are considered the most fattening item sold in Mexican restaurants with as much as 2 grams of fat per chip.
5. Nachos, chips topped with a variation of shredded cheese, salsa, sour cream, etc., are said to be created by Ignacia Anaya in 1943, account for 30% of all restaurant tortilla chips
“Why is it so hard to find an exercise bike with a basket for my tortilla chips?“~Roseanne Barr
Events of February 24
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
- 1874 RIP John Bachman, A Naturalist who wrote some of the text for John James Audubon’s albums of birds and mammals of North America.
- 1938 DuPont begins production of nylon toothbrush bristles. A patent had been granted in 1937. The nylon bristles replaced hog bristles. Yes, toothbrushes used to be made with hog bristles.
- 1955 Steven Jobs was born, co-founder of Apple computer company. According to the company, he “grew up in the apricot orchards which later became known as Silicon Valley.”
- 1989 A fossil egg was found in Utah that was 150 million years old.