National Lobster Newburg Day
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
- 1775 Pecan Day. George Washington planted pecan trees (some of which still survive) at Mount Vernon. The trees were supposedly a gift to Washington from Thomas Jefferson. (Some sources date this planting at 1799).
- 1848 William Keith Brooks was born. An American zoologist, he was a champion for the conservation of the Chesapeake Bay oyster. Author of ‘The Oyster‘ (1891).
- 1867 Friedlieb Ferdinand Runge died. A German chemist who developed a method for obtaining sugar from beet juice.
- 1867 The 2 mile long, 5 foot diameter Chicago Lake Tunnel was activated. It was the first water supply tunnel for a U.S. city.
- 1914 Norman Ernest Borlaug was born. American agronomist, Nobel Peace Prize winner for efforts to overcome world hunger. Developed the wheat/rye hybrid called ‘triticale’ with higher yield and protein content.
- 1995 Pizza Hut introduced its Stuffed Crust Pizza.
- 2008 Herb Peterson, creator of McDonald’s Egg McMuffin breakfast sandwich, died.