September 8 is National Date-Nut Bread Day
Posted on September 8, 2011
Here are today’s five thing to know about Bread:
- It takes 9 seconds for a combine to harvest enough wheat to make about 70 loaves of bread.
- Each American consumes, on average, 53 pounds of bread per year.
- An average slice of packaged bread contains only 1 gram of fat and 75 to 80 calories.
- One bushel of wheat will produce 73 one-pound loaves of bread.
- Breaking bread is a universal sign of peace.
Today’s Pinterest Board : Bread
Today’s Food History
- 1621 Prince Louis II de Condé, known as the Great Condé, was born. He was a French general who loved to hunt and had a passion for rice. Several dishes have been named for him, including Consommé Condé and Creme Condé.
- 1636 The Great and General Court of the Massachusetts Bay Colony established Harvard College (New College), the first college in the Americas.
- 1930 Richard Drew invented Scotch tape.
- 1966 The first episode of the TV show ‘Star Trek’ airs. Chemically synthesized food on the Enterprise – we seem to be getting close to that now.