November 5 – Today’s Food History
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
- 1714 Bernardino Ramazzini died. An Italian physician, he was the first to note the relationship between worker’s illnesses and their work environment. Considered the founder of occupational medicine.
- 1854 Paul Sabatier was born. Organic chemist who researched catalytic organic synthesis. The margarine, oil hydrogenation and methanol industries grew out of his research.
- 1893 Raymond Loewy was born. An American design engineer, he designed the Coca Cola bottle, the 1934 Sears Coldspot refrigerator, toothbrushes, etc.
- 1946 Musician Gram Parsons was born. Member of the Byrds and the Flying Burrito Brothers.
- 1963 Viking ruins were found by archaeologists in Newfoundland, dated to about the year 1,000. Leif Ericson had landed at ‘Vinland’ – 500 years before Columbus ‘discovered’ the New World.
- 2000 David Ross Brower died. Brower was the founder of many environmental organizations including the Friends of the Earth and Earth Island Institute.