Today’s Food History
on this day in…
- 1857 H.N. Wadsworth received the first American toothbrush patent.
- 1872 The ‘Mary Celeste’ sailed for Genoa from New York with a cargo of 1700 barrels of alcoholic spirits. The ship was found abandoned near the Azores, the captain, his wife and daughter and 7 crewmen missing, and no sign of violence. The captain, his family and the crew were never seen again.
- 1913 Alfred Russel Wallace died. Wallace was a British naturalist who developed a theory of natural selection independently of Charles Darwin. He sent his conclusions to Darwin, and their findings were both presented to the Linnaean Society in 1858.
- 1965 The Pillsbury Doughboy, ‘Poppin’ Fresh,’ was born. He made his debut in a commercial for crescent rolls.
- 2006 The Nevada Clean Indoor Air Act was approved by state voters. It bans smoking in all bars and restaurants. It becomes effective on December 8.