November 17 – Today’s Food History
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
- 1749 Nicolas Appert was born. Appert was a French cook and inventor who developed the method of preserving food that we call canning. He originally used glass jars sealed with wax and reinforced with wire.
- 1869 The Suez Canal opened, linking the Red Sea with the Mediterranean Sea.
- 1967‘Incense And Peppermints’ by Strawberry Alarm Clock is #1 on the charts
- 1988 Wal-Mart opened its first Super Center at Wheeler, Oklahoma. It carries fresh meat, produce, dairy products, and baked goods, in addition to other standard supermarket products and discount store merchandise.
- 1996 The World Food Summit concluded. Delegates promised full efforts to ease world hunger.