November 24 – Today’s Food History
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
- 1762 The first written record of the word ‘sandwich’. Edward Gibbons Journal, 11/24/1762: ‘I dined at the Cocoa Tree….That respectable body affords every evening a sight truly English. Twenty or thirty of the first men in the kingdom….supping at little tables….upon a bit of cold meat, or a Sandwich.’
- 1859 ‘The Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection’ was published in England.
- 1864 Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec was born. French artist who documented Parisian night life in the 1890s with his insightful posters.
- 1873 Patent issued to Joseph F. Glidden for barbed wire. The beginning of the end of cowboys and the open range.
- 1916 Sir Hiram Maxim died. An American born inventor. Among his hundreds of inventions were a hair curling iron, a mousetrap, an automatic sprinkling system, gas motors, and a machine gun.