November 26 – Today’s Food History
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
- 1836 John Loudon McAdam died. He invented macadam pavement for roads. The Macadamia Nut was named for him.
- 1867 J.B. Sutherland patented the refrigerated railroad car.
- 1876 Willis Haviland Carrier was born. He invented the first practical air conditioner.
- 1915 W. Atlee Burpee died. Founder of the world’s largest mail-order seed company in 1876.
- 1922 Charles M. Schulz was born. American cartoonist, best known for the ‘Peanuts’ comic strip.
- 1942‘Casablanca’, the movie, premiers in New York City on Thanksgiving Day.
- 1968 Rock group Cream’s last concert (Albert Hall).
- 1991 Japan agrees to stop using drift nets in commercial fishing.
- 2002 Verne H. Winchell died. Founder of Winchell’s Donuts in 1948; known as ‘The Donut King.’