November 28 – Todays Food History
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
- 1837 John Wesley Hyatt was born. He developed the process for making celluloid, the first synthetic plastic. He also invented a water purifying system and a sugar cane mill.
- 1863 Thanksgiving was first celebrated as a regular American Holiday.
- 1869 W.F. Semple of Mount Vernon, Ohio, was issued the first chewing gum patent in 1869.
- 1930 After a sandstorm in Morocco, there was a rain of mud in Paris and yellow sand fell in Spain.
- 1942 Coffee rationing began in the U.S.
- 1948 The first Polaroid Land Camera went on sale in Boston. This was the first successful self-developing camera; it took a photo about 1 minute to develop.
- 2006 Texas Republican state Rep. Betty Brown filed a bill (HCR 15) in the Texas legislature which would declare Athens, Texas as the “original home of the hamburger.” Residents of New Haven, Connecticut strongly objected.