January 17 – National Hot Buttered Rum Day
National Hot Buttered Rum Day
Daily Trivia: Hot Buttered Rum, a mixed drink containing rum, butter, hot cider, sugar, & spice(usually cinnamon), is considered one of the oldest “mixed drinks” in American History. Mention of this drink date as far back as the 1600’s.
on this day in…
- 1501 Leonhard Fuchs was born. A German botanist who compiled the first modern glossary of botanical terms. From which the flowering plant & color fuchsia were named.
- 1706 Benjamin Franklin was born. American publisher,diplomat & inventor. Penned the name for male turkeys, Tom, as a dig to Thomas Jefferson, who helped appoint the Bald Eagle, NOT the turkey, as the National Bird.
- 1775 Nine women in Kalisk, Poland were burned as “witches” for causing a series of bad harvests.
- 1890 Scottish-American scientist Peter Henderson died, considered the “Father of America Horticulture.”
- 1893 Hawaii’s Queen Liliuokalana, the last monarch of the Kingdom of Hawaii, leaves the throne, bowing to pressure from sugar planters .
- 1904 Anton Checov’s The Cherry Orchard premiered at the Moscow Art Theatre.
- 1944 WWII’s first “Tin Can Day” was held. One of the largest recycling efforts in American history
- 2001 Norway lifted a ban on whale meat exports.