January 18 – National Gourmet Coffee Day
National Gourmet Coffee Day
Daily Trivia: Until the invention of vacuum packed coffee tins in 1900 by Hill Bros. Coffee,
almost every city or large town in America had their own local coffee roasters
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
- 1778 Captain Cook discovered the Hawaiian Islands. He named them the Sandwich Islands, after Lord Sandwich, who was then first Lord of the Admiralty.
- 1799 Joseph Dixon was born. An American inventor and manufacturer. Among his many accomplishments, he produced the first pencil made in the U.S.
- 1813 Joseph Farwell Glidden was born. Glidden, an Illinois farmer, received a patent for the first commercial barbed wire on November 24, 1874. The beginning of the end to open range and the cowboy. Glidden formed the Barb Fence Company with his partner Isaac L. Ellwood, and became one of the wealthiest men in the country.
- 1818 George Palmer was born. Palmer, of Huntley and Palmer biscuit manufacturers, introduced the first biscuit tins.
- 1882 Alan Alexander Milne was born. Creator of Winnie the Pooh, the honey loving bear.
- 1943 Pre-sliced bread was banned in the U.S. for the duration of World War II, to conserve metal from spare parts that might be needed.
- 1990 The first McDonald’s in Moscow opened.
some content is courtesy of www.FoodReference.com, used with permission