January 19 – National Popcorn Day
Posted on January 19, 2012
National Popcorn Day
Daily Trivia: Popcorn is the world’s most popular snack food AND the most profitable, over 1 thousand percent mark up.
Today’s Food History
- 1825 The first U.S. patent for food storage in cans was granted to Ezra Daggett & Thomas Kensett of New York City, after developing the process in 1819.(it took over 30 years to invent the can open. Before then they were opened with knives or rods)
- 1915 George Claude of Paris was issued a U.S. patent for a neon tube advertising sign.(The first neon sign in Time Square was of a Heinz pickle)
- 1919 A huge wave of molasses kills dozens, Boston. Said to have been 45 ft high and 100ft wide.
- 1939 On this day in history, Wisconsin native Ernest Hausen sets the world chicken-plucking record at 4.4 seconds
- 1973 Iceland’s Cod War begins. Britain sends a Super Tug “The Statesman” to defend British fishermen against tactics such as wire cutting by the Icelandic Fishermen & Patrol Boats
- 2010 Kraft attempted a hostile bid for Cadbury’s.