Five Food Finds about Frog Trivia & Frog Legs
- 1. In 1930 there were only 24 frog farms in the U.S. Now there are hundreds of commercial growers.
- 2. The world’s largest Frog Leg festival, Fellsmere Frog Leg Festival, is held every January in Fellsmere, Florida. About 45,000 people attended last year’s festival and about 6,000 pounds of frog legs were served.
- 3. The muppet Kermit the Frog was not originally a frog at all, he was a “green furry character” until he first appeared on Sesame Street.
- 4. Strict religious laws forbid the consumption of frogs along with ants, bees, and sea birds by many Muslims and some Jewish faiths.
- 5.What’s in a name? The Carlton Hotel in London, first served ‘cuisses de nymphes aurore’, or legs of the dawn nymphs in the 1930’s. the dish soon became a favorite of the Prince of Wales. Before them the idea of eating frog legs was considered “water rats” to most Londoners.
Events of February 29
Today’s Food History
- 1736 Ann Lee, founder of the Shakers was born. To commemorate her birthday, each year on March 1 the Shakers held a supper serving one of the first known recipes for peach pie in the U.S.
- 1960 The first Playboy Club opened in Chicago at 116 E. Walton Street, in downtown Chicago.
- 2004 RIP British actress Dana Broccoli. Widow of Albert Broccoli, producer of the ‘James Bond’ movies.