March 2 – National Banana Cream Pie Day
Posted on March 2, 2012
Five Food Finds about pie in America
- Nearly one out of five (19%) of Americans prefer apple pie, followed by pumpkin (13%), pecan (12%), banana cream (10%) and cherry (9%)
- Until the early 1900’s Pie was considered a breakfast food.
- In England, Oliver Cromwell banned the eating of pie in 1644, declaring it “a pagan form of pleasure”
- “Wet bottom” molasses pie, Shoo-fly pie, were not originally made to eat. They were used to attract flies from the kitchen. They would stick to the pies
- Early colonists cooked their pies in long narrow pans calling them “coffins” Round pies were not common until the early 1800’s.
“Vegetables are a must on a diet. I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread, and pumpkin pie.”