March 12 – National Milky Way Day
National Milky Way Day
Five Food Finds about Milky Way Candy Bar
- The Milky Way bar was created in 1923 by Frank Mars.
- In the 1920’s it came in two flavors chocolate and vanilla.
- It was the first mass produced chocolate bar with a filling.
- The name ‘Milky Way’ was taken from a popular malted milkshake NOT the galaxy.
- Outside of North America the Milky Way is a completely different kind of candy bar. See here.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
- 1841 Orlando Jones of Middlesex, England received a U.S. patent for a process to make starch from rice or corn.
- 1894 Coca Cola was first bottled by Joseph A. Biedenham of Vicksburg, Mississippi. Before that it was only mixed to order at the soda fountain.
- 1912 Juliette ‘Daisy’ Gordon Low founded the Girl Scouts of the USA in Savannah, Georgia.
- 1929 RIP Asa Griggs Candler, In 1887, Asa Candler, a wholesale druggist, purchased the formula for Coca-Cola from John S. Pemberton, an Atlanta pharmacist, for $2,300. He sold the company in 1919 for $25 million.
- 1930 Mahatma Gandhi began his march to the coastal village of Dandi, to protest the British salt monopoly.
- 1993 RIP Christian Kent Nelson, He was the inventor of the Eskimo Pie in 1919 in Iowa.
Categories: Food Holidays, March Food Holidays
Tagged: 5 food finds, five food finds, food, milky way, national milky way day, news
You must be logged in to post a comment.