April 25 – National Zucchini Bread Day
National Zucchini Bread Day
Five Food Finds about Zucchini
- A zucchini has more potassium than a banana.
- The word zucchini comes from ‘zucca’ the Italian word for squash.
- Biggest is NOT best. The most flavorful zucchinis are small- to medium-sized.
- According to World’s Healthiest Foods Nutrition info, nutrients and vitamins found in zucchini can help prevent cancer and heart disease.
- The flower of the zucchini plant is also edible.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1856 Charles Luttwedge Dodgson met a little girl named Alice Liddell. Alice had a penchant for consuming unknown (and apparently psychoactive) food, pills and liquids that she found while exploring a very large rabbit hole.
1932 Meadowlark Lemon, basketball star, was born.
1945 Stu Cook of the music group ‘Creedence Clearwater Revival’ was born.
1959 The St. Lawrence Seaway opened. It connects the Great Lakes with the Atlantic Ocean. Its completion opened the heart of Americas industrial and agricultural areas to ocean going vessels for shipping. (The official opening ceremony is June 26)