National Chocolate Custard Day
Five Food Finds about Custard
- Due to the fact that it is a very fine organic powder, custard powder is EXPLOSIVE!
- Custard is a variety of culinary preparations based on a cooked mixture of milk or cream and egg yolk.
- Depending on how much egg or thickener is used, custard may vary in consistency from a thin pouring sauce (crème anglaise), to a thick pastry cream used to fill éclairs.
- The most common custards are used as desserts or dessert sauces and typically include sugar and vanilla.
- Custard bases may also be used for quiches and other savory foods.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1654 A bridge in Rowley, Massachusetts began charging a toll for animals. People passed for free.
1913 William Motter Inge was born. An American playwright, he was the author of ‘Picnic’ which was also filmed in 1956.
1937 Francis Stephen Castelluccio was born. Better known as Frankie Valli of ‘The Four Seasons’ singing group.
1939 The Andrew Sisters recorded ‘Beer Barrel Polka.’
1944 Most wartime meat rationing ended in the United States.
1947 Sylvester tried to have Tweety Bird for lunch for the first time in a Warner Brothers cartoon. 1959 Passing through the newly opened St. Lawrence Seaway (see April 25) the British freighter ‘Ramon de Larrinaga’ becomes the first deep draft ocean ship to enter the Duluth, Minnesota harbor.
2007 Jamison Stone, 11 years old, bagged a ‘wild hog’ that weighed in at over 1050 pounds. He was hunting on a commercial huntng preserve with his father and several guides in eastern Alabama. The animal measured 9 feet 4 inches long, nose to tail.