May 13 – National Apple Pie Day
National Apple Pie Day
Five Food Finds about Apple Pie
- The first printed reference to apple pie was in 1589 by Robert Greene in ‘Arcadia’: “Thy breath is like the steame of apple-pyes.”
- Tradition has it that Yale College served apple pie at every supper for more than 100 years
- There is an old saying: ‘Apple pie without cheese is like a kiss without a squeeze.’
- Americas favorite dessert, so much so that some things are said to be as American as apple pie.
- McDonald’s added an apple pie dessert to its menu in 1968.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1637 I am not totally confident with the month and day, but supposedly, Cardinal Richelieu ‘created’ the table knife when he had the points rounded on all knives to be used at his table. Presumably so no one could stab him.
1884 R.I.P. Cyrus Hall McCormick. He is generally credited with the development of the mechanical reaper
1958 Velcro was trademarked.
1993 The Red Hot Chili Peppers play on the Simpsons TV show.
2008 R.I.P. Robert Mondavi, age 94. A leading Napa Valley vintner who helped establish California wines among the best in the world.
Some Material Used from FoodReference.com with Permission.
Categories: Food Holidays, May Food Holidays
You must be logged in to post a comment.