June 10 – National Iced Tea Day
National Iced Tea Day
Five Food Finds about Tea
- A cup of black tea has half as much caffeine as a cup of coffee.
- Drinking milk may mean stronger bones, but the same goes for a cup of tea!
- In one day, an experienced tea picker can collect around 70 pounds of tea! That’s enough tea to make 14000 cups! Talk about filling a quota.
- A large amount of caffeine is released from tea after the first 30 seconds of brewing. Dumping this content out and pouring new hot water is a neat trick for caffeine conscience tea drinkers.
- There are four main types of tea: white, green, oolong, and black. But depending on the influence of culture, these four types can turn into thousands of varieties.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1869 Frozen food was shipped long distance for the first time. Frozen Texas beef shipped by steamship to New Orleans.
1943 Laslo Biro patented the ball point pen.
1952 Mylar was registered as a DuPont trademark. Mylar is a very strong polyester film that has gradually replaced cellophane. It is used as a food wrap in addition to many other non-food uses.
1965 Jimmy Chamberlain of the music group ‘The Smashing Pumpkins’ was born.
1971 ‘Want Ads’ by Honey Cone is #1 on the charts
1973 William Motter Inge died. An American playwright, he was the author of ‘Picnic’ which was also filmed in 1956.
1985 A ‘Most Embarrassing Moment’: Coca Cola announced it was bringing back the old formula Coke, to replace the New Coke nobody wanted.
1990 Burger King began using Newman’s Own Salad Dressings