Celebrating National Tapioca Day
Posted on June 15, 2012
National Tapioca Day
Five Food Finds about Pudding
- The Fortress hotel in Galle, Sri Lanka, is charging $14,500 a serving of the world’s most expensive pudding, which is called “The Fortress Stilt Fisherman Indulgence”.
- Hasty pudding was originally a British dish. This pudding could be made on very short notice. Ingredients vary, but it was basically a sweetened porridge made from flour, tapioca or oatmeal and milk. The term originated in the late 16th century.
- In Colonial America cornmeal was cheaper and more readily available, so here, Hasty Pudding was a cornmeal mush (cornmeal added to boiling water and cooked) with molasses, honey, brown sugar or maple syrup and milk.
- There are both savory and dessert versions of this dish.
- A meat pudding is an example of a savory pudding.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1752 Benjamin Franklin flew a kite.
1851 Jacob Fussell, a Baltimore dairyman, opens the first commercial ice-cream factory.
1869 R.I.P. Joseph Dixon. An American inventor and manufacturer. Among his many accomplishments, he produced the first pencil made in the U.S.
1969 ‘Ice Cube’ (O’Shea Jackson) singer and actor, was born.
1992 SPELLING LESSONS – At a spelling bee in a Trenton, New Jersey school, U.S. Vice President Dan Quayle, corrects a student’s spelling of ‘potato’ by telling him it should have an ‘e’ at the end.
1999 Nicholas Vitalich is arrested for assaulting his girlfriend with a large tuna, outside a San Diego supermarket. He was charged with assault with a deadly weapon.