June 21 – National Peaches and Cream Day
National Peaches and Cream Day
Five Food Finds about Peaches
- Did you know? Peaches were once known as Persian apples.
- “You’re a real peach” originated from the tradition of giving a peach to the friend you liked.
- Peaches were mentioned as early as 79 A.D. in literature.
- Most peaches are cultivated by grafting different combinations of rootstocks to scions.
- There are over 700 varieties of peaches-some Chinese varieties are even flat like hockey pucks!
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1834 Cyrus McCormick received a patent for the first practical mechanical reaper.
1893 The first Ferris Wheel opened at the Columbian Exposition in Chicago, Illinois. Invented by George Washington Ferris, it had 36 cars and carried 60 passengers 264 feet high.
1933 A barge loaded with grain arrived in New Orleans to complete the first Great Lakes to the Gulf of Mexico barge trip.
Categories: Food Holidays, June Food Holidays
You must be logged in to post a comment.