August 11 – National Raspberry Bombe Day
National Raspberry Bombe Day
Five Food Finds about Bombe
- A bombe glacée or simply a bombe in English, is an ice cream dessert frozen in a spherical mould so as to resemble a cannonball, hence the name.
- Escoffier gives over sixty recipes for bombes in Le Guide culinaire.
- The dessert appeared on restaurant menus as early as 1882.
- Bombe comes in many flavors fruity and sweet.
- Raspberry bombe is among the most popular flavors.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1858 Christiaan Eijkman was born. A Dutch physician who discovered that beriberi was caused by a poor diet (a lack of vitamin B1), which eventually led to the discovery of vitamins.
1874 Harry S. Parmelee of New Haven, Connecticut patented the sprinkler head.
1949 Eric Carmen of the music group ‘The Raspberries’ was born.
1962 Booker T and the MG’s released their instrumental single ‘Green Onions’.
1992 The Mall of America opened in Bloomington, Minnesota. It was the largest shopping mall in the U.S.
Categories: August Food Holidays, Food Holidays
You must be logged in to post a comment.