August 21 – National Spumoni Day
Posted on August 21, 2012
National Spumoni Day
Five Food Finds about Ice-Cream
- An average dairy cow can produce enough milk in her lifetime to make a little over 9,000 gallons of ice cream.
- A cow has only 1 stomach with 4 areas where food is digested: the rumen, reticulum, omasum, and the abdomen.
- The udder of a cow can hold between 25-50 lbs. of milk.
- In the U.S., all ice cream needs to have a minimum of 10% milkfat if it is to be labeled “ice cream”. This includes custard based (French Style) ice creams.
- Sorbet, has no milk at all!
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1814 Benjamin Thompson, Count von Rumford died. American physician who invented the percolator, a pressure cooker and a kitchen stove. He is frequently credited with creating baked Alaska.
1988 Pubs are now allowed to stay open 12 hours each day (except Sunday) in the U.K.
1997 The largest food recall in U.S. history. Hudson Foods closed its Nebraska plant and recalled 25 million pounds of ground beef that were potentially contaminated with E. coli 01557:H7