August 29 – Whiskey Sour Day
National Whiskey Sour Day
Five Food Finds about Whiskey
- Pure malt whisky is produced only from malted barley.
- After opening, a half-full bottle of whisky will remain good for five years.
- A closed bottle of whisky can be kept for more than 100 years and it will still be good to drink.
- A whisky stops maturing after it is bottled.
- Around 90 percent of Single Malt Whisky comes from Scotland.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1809 Oliver Wendell Holmes was born. American physician, poet and humorist. Author of ‘The Autocrat of the Breakfast Table,’ ‘The Professor of the Breakfast Table,’ ‘The Poet of the Breakfast Table,’ and ‘Over the Teacups.’
1896 Supposedly, the Chinese-American dish, chop suey, was created in New York City by the Cantonese chef of Chinese Ambassador Li Hung-Chang.
1905 Jack Teagarden, jazz trombonist was born.
1915 Nathan Pritikin was born. A nutritionist who believed that exercise and a low fat, high unrefined carbohydrate diet helped reverse his own heart disease. He founded the Pritikin Longevity Center in 1976.
1953 Rick Downey of the rock group ‘Blue Oyster Cult’ was born.
2007 Alfred Peet died. He was the founder of Peet’s Coffee & Tea in Berkeley, California in 1966. The founders of Starbucks were fans, and openly acknowledge his influence.