September 7 is National Beer Lover’s Day
Posted on September 7, 2012
Kick it into high gear! It’s time to celebrate beer!
Here are today’s five thing to know about Beer:
- Germany serves beer ice cream in popsicle form. Its alcoholic content is less than that found in “classic” beer.
- In 1962, Iron City beer was the brand used to test-market the concept of tab opening aluminum cans. By 1970, over 90% of all beer cans were self-opening.
- Prohibition, beginning on January 16, 1920, lasted 13 years, 10 months, 19 days, 17 hours, and 32-1/2 minutes, and was rescinded on December 5, 1933, at 3:32 p.m.
- Centuries ago in England, pub visitors used a novel innovation that enabled them to get their beer served quickly. They used mugs with a whistle baked into the rim, the whistle being used to summon the barmaid. It has been suggested this practice gave birth to the phrase “wet your whistle.”
- A beer lover or enthusiast is called a cerevisaphile.
Today’s Pinterest Board : Beer
Today’s Food History
- 1840 Luther Crowell was born. He invented a machine to make square bottomed grocery bags.
- 1847 Henry David Thoreau left Walden Pond.
- 1912 David Packard was born. Founder with William Hewlett of the Hewlett Packard Company. Before they became famous for computers and printers etc., some of their early inventions were an automatic urinal flusher and a weight loss shock machine!
- 1971 The final episode of ‘The Beverly Hillbillies’ TV show is aired.