September 22 is National White Chocolate Day
- White chocolate originates from the cocoa (cacao) plant, but it is not ‘chocolate.’
- According to the FDA, to be called ‘chocolate’ a product must contain chocolate liquor, which is what gives it the biter intense chocolate flavor (and color) to dark and milk chocolates.
- White chocolate contains cocoa butter, milk solids, sugar, lecithin and flavorings (usually including vanilla). Cocoa butter is the fat from cocoa beans, extracted from the cocoa beans during the process of making chocolate and cocoa powder. Cocoa butter has very little ‘chocolate’ flavor.
- Cocoa butter is one of the ingredients used to make real chocolate, it is gives chocolate the ability to remain solid at room temperature, yet melt easily in the mouth.
- Cocoa butter is one of the most stable fats known, containing natural antioxidants that prevent rancidity and give it a storage life of 2 to 5 years. It is used for its smooth texture in foods (including chocolate) and in cosmetics and soaps.
Today’s Pinterest Board : Chocolate
Today’s Food History
- 1777 John Bartram died. An American botanist, and considered the ‘father of American botany,’ he established a botanical garden in Philadelphia in 1728.
- 1877 Victor Shelford was born. An American zoologist and ecologist, he was one of the first to treat ecology as a separate science. He was active and influential in several ecological organizations, including the Nature Conservancy formed in 1951.
- 1903 Italo Marchiony applied for a patent for an ice cream cup mold. Initially, he would fold warm waffles into a cup shape. He then developed the 2-piece mold that would make 10 cups at a time. (The patent was granted on December 15).
- 1955 The first British commercial TV station began broadcasting. The first advertisement was for Gibbs SR toothpaste.
- 1967 The Queen Mary began her last Atlantic crossing.
- 1982 First Farm Aid Concert was held at Champaign, Illinois.
- 2002 William Rosenberg founder of Dunkin’ Donuts died.
- 2003 Actor Gordon Jump died. The ‘Matag Repairman’ in commercials, also Arthur Carlson on ‘WKRP in Cincinnati’