September 24 is National Cherries Jubilee Day
Here are today’s five thing to know about Cherries Jubilee:
- The cherry is the fruit of many plants of the genus Prunus, and is a fleshy stone fruit.
- The cherry fruits of commerce are usually obtained from a limited number of species, including especially cultivars of the wild cherry, Prunus avium.
- The name ‘cherry’, often as the compound term ‘cherry tree’, may also be applied to many other members of the genus Prunus, or to all members of the genus as a collective term.
- The fruits of many of these are not cherries, and have other common names, including plum, apricot, peach, and others.
- The name ‘cherry’ is also frequently used in reference to cherry blossom.
Today’s Pinterest Board : Cherries Jubilee
Today’s Food History
- 1870 Georges Claude was born. A French engineer, he invented the neon light, commonly used for signs. 1936 Jim Henson, puppeteer was born. Creator of the ‘Muppets’ – including Miss Piggy and the Cookie Monster.
- 1944 Rosa Lee Hawkins of the vocal group ‘The Dixie Cups’ was born.
- 1991 Dr. Seuss (Theodor Seuss Geisel) died. Writer and cartoonist. A few of his childrens books were ‘Green Eggs and Ham,’ ‘One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish,’ ‘Scrambled Eggs Super!’ and ‘The Butter Battle Book’