October 15 – National Mushroom Day
National Mushroom Day
Today’s Food History
- 1944 Don Stevenson of the music group ‘Moby Grape’ was born.
- 1959 Emeril Lagasse was born in Fall River, Massachusetts. TV cook and actor.
- 1988 ‘Red Red Wine’ by UB40 hits number 1 on the charts.
- 1990 Killer bees reach the U.S. in the city of Hidalgo in southern Texas.
- 1996 Pierre Franey died. A French chef who became famous as the chef of ‘Le Pavillon’ restaurant in New York City from 1945 to 1960. He published several cookbooks and collaborated with Craig Claiborne on the New York Times food column, ‘The 60 Minute Gourmet’.
- 2002 Konrad (Emil) Bloch died. Nobel prize winner for his work on cholesterol and fatty acids. He discovered that high levels of cholesterol may lead ultimately to increased risk of heart attacks.
Categories: Food Holidays, October Food Holidays
You must be logged in to post a comment.