January 4 – National Spaghetti Day
National Spaghetti Day
Five Food Finds about Spaghetti
- The word, Spaghetti is the plural form of an Italian word spaghetto, meaning “thin string” or “twine.”
- Pasta existed for thousands of years before anyone ever thought to put tomato sauce on it.
- You can fry your leftover spaghetti noodles.
- The average person in Italy eats more than 51 pounds of pasta every year.
- According to Miss Manners (a.k.a. Judith Martin), a fork is the only utensil that may be used to eat spaghetti while anyone is looking. According to Foodimentary, you can do it however you darn well please.
On This Day in Food History…
1493 Columbus returned from his first voyage to the New World.
1863 James Plimpton of New York patented 4 wheeled roller skates.
1905 Actor Sterling Holloway was born. He was also the voice of Winnie The Pooh, the honey loving bear in Disney’s animated version.
1997 Billionaire Harry Helmsley died. Husband of the infamous Leona (‘Queen of Mean,’ ‘Queen of Greed’), his real estate holdings included the Empire State Building.
2002 An Italian shepherd, the world’s oldest man died at the age of 112. Quote: “….love your brother and drink a good glass of red wine every day.”
some content is courtesy of FoodReference.com, used with permission