National Peanut Brittle Day
Five Food Finds about Peanut Brittle
- “Brittle” , a flat hardened sugar candy, is thought to be one of the first candies ever made.
- Peanut brittle made with corn syrups & nuts began appearing in cookbooks around the 19th century.
- It has many variations around the world, such as pasteli in Greece, croquant in France and Gacchac in India.
- In parts of the Middle East, brittle is made with pistachios, while many Asian countries use sesame seeds and peanuts.
- Peanut brittle is the most popular brittle recipe in the US.
On This Day in Food History…
- 1838 The first state temperance law was passed in Tennessee.
- 1875 The first battery-powered dentist’s drill was patented by George F Green of Kalamazoo, Michigan.
- 1932 RIP William Wrigley, Jr. He started Juicy Fruit chewing gum in 1893, & later Wrigley’s Spearmint. Wrigley’s boson became the largest chewing gum manufacturer in the world.
- 2007 RIP Sharon Tyler Herbst Author of ‘ The Food Lover’s Companion,’ ‘The Joy of Cookies,’ & many more food related books.