National Blueberry Pancake Day
Today’s five things you should know about
Blueberries and Pancakes
- The first ready-mix food to be sold commercially was Aunt Jemima pancake flour introduced in 1889.
- Maine produces 99% of all the wild blueberries in the United States of which 90% are frozen.
- The Ancient Greeks made pancakes called ταγηνίας (tagēnias), deriving from τάγηνον (tagēnon), “frying pan”.
- The earliest attested references on tagenias are in the works of the 5th century BC poets Cratinus and Magnes.
- Tagenites were made with wheat flour, olive oil, honey and curdled milk, and were served for breakfast.
On This Day in Food History…
- 1807 London’s Pall Mall becomes the first street to be lighted with Gas Fixtures
- 1855 The first locomotive runs from the Atlantic to the Pacific on the Panama Railway. Establishing the first trans-continental dining cars.
- 1917 San Francisco opens it’s streetcar system. Considered a “San Francisco treat”