National Cake Pops Day
National Cake Pop Day
Also: National Chocolate Covered Raisins Day
Here are today’s five facts about
- Cake pops are crumbled cake
mixed with frosting that can be rolled into balls or formed into endless shapes. They are then placed on a lollipop stick and dipped in chocolate.
- While there is no recorded date for the creation of cake pops. Most people say that Bakerella, a popular baking blog, helped make then a “pop” phenomenon. See Pinterest below
- In 2011, cake pops were considered the newest and most popular confectionery food trends
- Other variations of cake pops are cake balls, cakesicles, cupcake pops, and cake-on-a-stick.
- Cake pops in recent years have become ubiquitous to Starbucks coffee shops.
On This Day in Food History…
- 1856 Auburn University is chartered as the East Alabama Male College, a primarily agricultural college.
- 1867 Bricklayers first started working 8-hour days
- 1884 The first edition of the Oxford English Dictionary is publish(including 23 recipes & cooking tips)
- 1913 New York City’s Grand Central Terminal opens. The world’s largest train station including several restaurants & food stalls.
- 1960 Four students stage the first civil rights “sit-in” at the lunch counter of the Greensboro, NC, Woolworth